Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tell me baby do you recognise me?

Hibernation is a state of inactivity and metabolic depression in animals, characterized by lower body temperature, slower breathing, and lower metabolic rate, to conserve energy, especially during winter. Hibernation may last several days or weeks depending on species, ambient temperature, and time of year. Typically, the winter season for the hibernator is characterized by periods of hibernation interrupted by periodic euthermic arousals wherein body temperature is restored to typical values. Hibernation allows animals to conserve energy during the winter when food is short. During hibernation, animals slow their metabolism to a very low level to allow them to use their energy reserves, stored as body's fat, at a slower rate. Before entering hibernation most species eat a large amount of food and store energy in fat deposits in order to survive the winter. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation]
I believe that this means that I'll be shortly going into hibernation. Let's have a look at that again and make a checklist:

1.State of inactivity - check
2.Lower metabolic rate - check
3.Eating a large amount of food, stored as fat deposits. - check

I think that you'll agree with me that I will soon be going into hibernation, and boy do I feel like it. Either that or I've become a fat slob, and the actual evidence seems to point to the latter. I'm going to try and get my shit together over the festive period, and do all the things that I've not been bothered to do lately, such as tidy up, get some exercise, stop eating crap food ,etc.

It's going to be hard with all the celebrating and parties going on but when I come back to work in January I want to feel 100 times better.... and look it. It used to be that I'd put weight on over winter but I'd then lose it over summer and that would enable me to paarty again at winter, but over the past few years, since I've been in 'real' work, I have forgotten to do the summer bit. So I'm gonna have to try and make the winter my lose weight time. Pretty hard though, but hopefully if I write it here then I may actuall do it. I think the best way for me to go is through getting back into cycling which I've completely put on the backburner in favour of driving to work. Part of this is because of the rain and wind, but (puns ahoy) I've got to get 'back into the saddle', as it's 'just like riding a bicycle'.

I've had a lot more convenience food lately too, and have put it down to not having enough time to make something. Bollocks. It is nice though, but I know that it's just the fat, salt, and sugar giving me that artificial high. It's not just takeaway food though, even stuff like shop baguettes are full of calories, and I'm simply not doing enough to burn these off.

So another checklist can be made:
1. Eat less
2. Exercise more

I think this is the general feeling amongst people as it gets to winter time, and I know that once I start exercising again, I'll feel better and will feel less lethargic.

Let's do it!!

1 comment:

Aravis said...

I've been trying to eat right and exercise more too, and have done pretty well.

But if I do start to slack, I'm going to say that I'm preparing for hibernation. It sounds better. *G*