Thursday, November 09, 2006

I Quit! I Quit! The situation's vacant for me

I have given up on NaNoWriMo. There I've said it. Please be gentle.

I haven't been fully committed to it and now that I've said I'm not doing anymore I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I only decided to do it on a whim the day before it started and I've only written 4000 words so far and we're already a third into the timeline of the contest. I like to think that I could have completed it but I'd be lying. Maybe at the beginning I thought it was possible, but I am not a writer, and never have been.

Yes I know I can 'write', but I just wasn't feeling it, and would prefer to spend the next few weeks catching up on some other projects that I only half-heartedy started and need to complete.

For regular readers of this blog you'll know I do this kinda thing every so often and have in the past considered stopping this blog because I couldn't be bothered, but I have always returned, tail between my legs, and so it is not the end of my NaNoWriMo career but certainly I will not be finishing my novel by the set deadline. I do get bored easily and am always wanting to try and new things, but I should really have some restraint.

There is nothing to compare to that satisfying feeling of completing something, and I have quite a big list of things that need to be done, so I'll try and get them done, and then maybe I could consider committing myself to something as big as NaNoWriMo. I wish I'd thought this out better....

1 comment:

Aravis said...

No worries. I won the first year I did it but found myself in your shoes last year. I just wasn't in a position to finish and I gave up, though it really bothered me to do so. I considered not trying this year but I felt compelled. We'll see how it pans out.

Do what you want with your time; it's your time and you have other things to do with it. :0)