Monday, October 09, 2006

End of a Century

Blimey... It really hits home when someone young dies. I've just got back from work and found out that Paul Hunter, the snooker player has lost his battle against cancer and has died at the age of 27.

He'd been battling cancer for the past 18 months, and even returned to playing again this year but eventually succumbed to cancer of the colon.

He led a very full life, turning pro at the age of 16 and winning 5 major titles, including at hat-trick of Masters, but leaves behind his wife and young daughter, and could have lived a lot more.

Read more here.

In his post match interview following his 2004 Masters title win, Hunter caused a media sensation by admitting he resorted to "Plan B" with Lyndsey Fell, his fiancee, during the interval while 6-2 down. The 'B' in "Plan B" purportedly refers to the word "bonk". Hunter and Fell retired to their hotel room and he recalls "Sex was the last thing on my mind. I just wasn't in the mood. But I had to do something to break the tension. It was a quick session - around 10 minutes or so - but I felt great afterwards. She jumped in the bath, I had a kip and then played like a dream. I reeled off four centuries in six frames. I won easily."

3 comments:

Threelight said...

Now that is sad.

I'm a snooker fan myself, and reading this, well, so sad..

adem said...

I didn't realise that he was that ill. Of course if you've got cancer then you are very ill, but I didn't know that he was that close to death. sad.

Charby said...

its such a sad thing, he always seemed one of the most interesting people in the snooker world. And he was far too young to die.