Friday, June 10, 2005

Maybe we'll live and learn, Maybe we'll crash and burn

A strange thing happened the other day. I was listening to the radio and I heard a great song from an artist I had never heard of before, and then on Top of the Pops (I honestly never watch it but it was on the TV before I went out) I saw him again. The artist in question is John Legend (not too sure if that's his real surname) and the song was 'Ordinary People'. A great song and great lyrics too.
I've just had a look at his website johnlegend.com (obviously) and his biography reveals that his real name is John Stephens (I knew Legend wasn't his real name) and that Lauryn Hill and Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green and The O'Jays are among his primary influences, a fact that is evident from hearing his music.
Legend demonstrates a rare ability to fuse the "feel" and vibe of classic old school soul music with the edgy flavor of 21st century hip-hop. While the romantic themes of traditional R&B permeate John's Get Lifted, there's also a street-worthy hipness and confidence: the sensuality of Marvin Gaye and the sincerity of Stevie Wonder merging with the directness of Snoop Dogg and the wit of Kanye West. Yet, John Legend is very much his own artist, gifted with singular talents and a unique sensibility.

There's nothing like a label bigging up (how hip am I?) an artist, but in this case I think they may be onto something. I think the best thing for you to do is check out the website and click on 'media' to see what it's all about. Hopefully we'll hear a lot more from him, and as he has made it into the 'popular' media I'm sure he will. Even if he falls out of the limelight I think he'll still be successful as a songwriter and musician as he has done session work with Alicia Keys, Janet Jackson, Talib Kweli, Jay-Z, Britney Spears, Eve, Common, the Black Eyed Peas and Kanye West (whom co-wrote his current album). By the way....whatever happened to Jamie Cullum?

No comments: