Friday, February 25, 2005

Renault Megane Problem

Hi. For the past few weeks the right indicator on my Megane has been playing up and flashing double time and actually making other lights flash too which is really funny if I want to die. Well I've been putting off fixing them because 1. I'm a bit lazy & 2. I wasn't quite sure what to do.
I'd tested all the bulbs and they were fine and then last week a new problem arose where if I had the headlights on and was indicating right the fog light indicator would light up on my dashboard and as soon as I put my foot on the brake the right indicator would stop working! A great trick if you like playing chicken when turning right in the dark.
Well I asked my friend Ian what he thought and he said "probably some sort of earthing problem". Cheers. So I went researching on the net and actually found a solution because it seems this has happened to a few megane owners.

THE CAUSE
Bacause one of the bulbs has lost an earth, when I brake I'm drawing an earth through another bulb to feed the defective light and by doing this it's creating a magnetic field in the second bulb making it light. i.e things be fucked up.

THE SOLUTION
Open the boot and remove the lighting block and disconnect the connecting block. You should be able to see a bit of blackening on one of the pins where it has overheated. Get a small file and remove the black bits and maybe bend the pins a bit to improve the connection. Do this to both the left and right set of lights and put everything back.

Brilliant I can now indicate and brake at the same time!

No comments: